A soft spongy cashew base between a gooey layer of raspberry jam, coated in healthy homemade chocolate and crunchy coconut. Need I say more?
It’s pouring rain outside my window. The air is fresh and cool. Making magic in the kitchen on these kind of days fills me with joy. It’s a beautiful time to slow down, sway to some tunes and show love to yourself and your favourite people in the form of wholesome food. I have a divine recipe for raw lamington jam squares if you feel like getting creative in the kitchen.
This is just one of the many recipes that will appear in my book, to be released very soon!
For the sponge base:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes (preferably overnight)
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup dessicated coconut
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the raspberry chia jam:
- ¾ cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
For the chocolate coating:
- ½ cup cacao butter, chopped or grated
- ¼ cup cacao
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cup dessicated coconut, to coat
- Add the cashews, almond meal and coconut to a food processor or high-speed blender and process until crumbed. Add the maple syrup, vanilla and coconut milk. Process until well combined.
- Transfer half of the mixture into a square or rectangle cake tin lined with baking paper. Press evenly into the tin. Place in the freezer to set.
- In the meantime, make the raspberry chia jam by blending the raspberries, lemon juice, chia seeds and maple syrup.
- Remove the cake tin from the freezer and spread the jam over the bottom layer. Then place cake tin back into the freezer to set.
- After 20-30 minutes, remove from the freezer and add the top layer of the sponge. Be careful to not press too hard to squash the jam. Place into the freezer to set for a further hour.
- Make the chocolate coating by melting the cacao butter in a double boiler on low heat.
- Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the cacao powder and maple syrup until smooth.
- Prepare a bowl of dessicated coconut.
- Remove the cake tin from the freezer and cut lamington into squares.
- Dip lamington squares into the chocolate mixture to coat and then toss to cover in shredded coconut.
- Repeat until all lamington squares are covered and then place into the fridge to set.