Why wait for Tuesday to have tacos?
Jackfruit is the star of this taco recipe. If you haven’t tried it, it’s basically a meaty fruit that takes the consistency of pulled pork when cooked. It also takes on all of the beautiful flavours of the spices and marinade that its cooked in. Most people are surprised to find out that it is in fact a fruit. I’ve paired the jackfruit with black beans to bulk it up with a good source of protein, fibre, iron, prebiotics and other goodies. And of course, the zesty lime guacamole must not be forgotten!
This is a sneak peek at the book I’m currently in the thick of writing. The book focuses on wellbeing, sustainable living and – of course – plenty of delicious plant-based recipes. The first two sections of the book are mostly complete, but the recipes are proving to be the most time-consuming component. This is due to all of the brainstorming, testing, tweaking, photographing and editing involved. But I’ve been loving the process and let’s just say that I’ve certainly been eating well!
Creating a compilation of recipes has made me even more experimental in the kitchen – hello jackfruit, chickpea miso, blue spirulina, green banana resistant starch, etc… I’m actually working on a poke bowl featuring watermelon sashimi at the moment, but time will tell if that one works out!
Although there are definitely a lot of fun and inventive recipes in the book, most require only simple ingredients that rely on fresh, seasonal produce. My focus is on real wholefoods from the Earth, sourced sustainably and prepared with love.
But enough chit-chat, time to get into this bad-ass recipe! If you make them, I’d love some feedback so let me know what you think!
Smoky Jackfruit & Black Bean Tacos
For the smoky jackfruit & black beans:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 can jackfruit in brine, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup tomato passata
- 2 tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
For the tacos:
- 4 cups lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup coriander, finely chopped
- Hard taco shells, to serve
For the guac:
- 1-2 avocados, halved and pitted
- Juice of ½ lime
- Pinch celtic sea salt
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, sautéing for 5-7 minutes until tender. Add the smoked paprika, cumin, mustard seeds, cayenne pepper and sea salt. Fry for an additional 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the jackfruit and break apart with the back of a wooden spoon to obtain a ‘pulled’ texture. Then add the black beans. Stir through to coat.
- Add the tomato passata, tamari, apple cider vinegar and maple. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Make the guacamole by mashing together the avocado, lime juice and sea salt.
- Heat the taco shells in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes.
- To serve, arrange all of the ingredients in the middle of your dining table and assemble as desired. Enjoy your taco party!