Make a quick and easy chickpea “tuna” salad to throw between two slices of toasted bread for a delicious, healthy and balanced lunch.
Chickpeas are a great source of protein and are rich in vitamins, minerals, fibre and prebiotics that are fantastic for digestion and gut health. Their soft consistency makes them the perfect candidate to be mashed with a homemade dressing and transformed into a creamy “tuna” salad.
Hidden within the salad are celery, parsley and red onion. Not only do these ingredients add wonderful flavour and texture, but they are also health heroes. They are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals; contain cancer-fighting substances; may improve heart health; have antibacterial properties; support bone health; can help with detoxification; can prevent diseases; and help control blood sugar. These are all the more reasons why you should add more plants to your meals!
I am lucky enough to have an absolutely divine organic, gluten-free bakery local to me on the Gold Coast (called Marie Anita’s Gluten Free Health Cafe). Serving the chickpea salad mixture between two slices of this freshly toasted bread is heavenly. However, if you don’t have access to a gluten-free bakery then you might like to experiment with making your own bread or purchasing a loaf of organic sourdough.
Now for the recipe!
Chickpea salad sandwich
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon hulled tahini
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons dill, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, diced
- 2 large ribs celery, thinly sliced
- Cos lettuce, to serve
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Slices of gluten-free bread or sourdough
- Add the chickpeas to a large bowl and use a fork or potato masher to lightly mash the chickpeas, leaving some whole.
- Mix in the tahini, wholegrain mustard, lemon juice, onion, celery, dill, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Serve chickpea salad mixture between fresh or toasted bread with lettuce and tomato.