Satisfy that chocolate craving with a bowl of quinoa porridge, rich in protein and all of the nine essential amino acids.
Quinoa is actually a seed, not a grain, and is therefore naturally gluten free and great for people who need (or want) to avoid gluten.
Cook the quinoa in creamy coconut milk with cacao (rich in magnesium and antioxidants) and pure maple syrup (for a touch of sweetness). Then garnish with sumptuous raspberries (more great antioxidants and other wonderful vitamins), coconut shreds and cacao nibs. It’s like eating a bowl of warm cherry ripe, but so good for you!
Choc, coconut & raspberry quinoa porridge
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup organic coconut milk (from a can)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- Rinse the quinoa, then add to a saucepan with the coconut milk and water. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the cacao and maple syrup. Cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes (or until the quinoa has sprouted little tails and tripled in size). Add a little more water or coconut milk if the quinoa absorbs the liquid too quickly.
- Serve into two bowls and top with the raspberries, cacao nibs and shredded coconut.