On my recent trip to Bali, I was able to indulge in the most beautiful food that sent my taste buds to another galaxy. Something I encountered several times was blue spirulina and the incredible colour it gives a dish. Anything from smoothie bowls and chia puddings to noodles could be made a vibrant blue thanks to a tiny amount of this powerhouse ingredient.
Upon returning from my trip, I continued to see beautiful blue foodie creations on my Instagram and decided it was finally time to bite the bullet and order myself this (rather expensive) superfood. But boy was it worth it to be able to create such magical looking dishes!
My previous blog post gives a recipe for magical mermaid donuts using blue spirulina.
Continuing with the theme, the recipe below describes how to prepare a delicious and nourishing ocean bowl for all the beach lovers out there. I even topped mine with a fresh frangipani, a flower that makes me reminisce about my trip to tropical Bali.
Let’s dive in shall we?
For the base:
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen mango
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon blue spirulina
- 2 teaspoons vanilla plant protein powder (or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract)
For the toppings:
- 1 tablespoon activated buckwheat
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1 passionfruit pulp
- Add the banana, mango and coconut milk to a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend on high, using the tamper to scrape down the mixture as you do so.
- Once mixture starts to blend smoothly, add the blue spirulina and vanilla. Continue to blend until the mixture swirls into an ocean of blue.
- Pour the mixture into your favourite bowl and decorate with the toppings (or whatever toppings you have on hand).