On my recent trip to Bali, I was able to indulge in the most beautiful food that sent my taste buds to another galaxy. Something I encountered several times was blue spirulina and the incredible colour it gives a dish. Anything from smoothie bowls and chia puddings to noodles could be made a vibrant blue thanks to a tiny amount of this powerhouse ingredient.
Upon returning from my trip, I continued to see beautiful blue foodie creations on my Instagram and decided it was finally time to bite the bullet and order myself this (rather expensive) superfood. But boy was it worth it to be able to create such magical looking dishes!
My previous blog post gives a recipe for magical mermaid donuts using blue spirulina.
Continuing with the theme, the recipe below describes how to prepare a delicious and nourishing ocean bowl for all the beach lovers out there. I even topped mine with a fresh frangipani, a flower that makes me reminisce about my trip to tropical Bali.
Let’s dive in shall we?
For the base:
- 3 frozen bananas
- Dash of almond milk
- 1 tsp blue spirulina
- 1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
For the toppings:
- A handful of coconut shreds (organic)
- 1 tbsp activated buckwheat
- 1 passionfruit, halved
- Frangipani and daisies (optional flower decorations)
- Add the frozen bananas, vanilla and a dash of almond milk to a high-speed blender. Blend on high and use the tamper to scrape down the sides.
- Once mixture starts to blend smoothly, add the blue spirulina and watch the mixture swirl into an ocean of blue.
- Pour the mixture into your favourite bowl and decorate with the toppings (or whatever toppings you have on hand).