I met a friend the other day in her new home and she cooked me the most wholesome, fragrant and heart-warming lentil soup. The tomatoes and coconut milk provided a rich creaminess that was balanced by the flavour of the spices and fresh coriander that filtered through with each spoonful. Upon drilling her about how she concocted such a wonderful dish, she told me just how easy, cheap and quick it was to make. So on a rainy day in Brisbane a few days later, I created my own version that gave me that wholesome, warm and heart-happy feeling all over again! I hope this recipe provides that for you too…
Quick Curried Lentil Soup
- 1.5 cups dry lentils
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 can organic coconut milk
- Cook onion and garlic in a non-stick pan on high heat with a dash of water until start to brown.
- Lower the heat and add fresh ginger, curry powder, chilli flakes and smoked paprika. Stir until fragrant.
- Add the lentils and stir for approximately 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, coconut milk, 3 cups of water and coriander. Bring to the boil, then simmer uncovered for approximately 20-25 mins (until lentils cooked through).
- Serve the soup into bowls and top with fresh coriander.