Cook and devour this mouthwatering plant-based nachos recipe knowing you are nourishing your body with nothing but wholesome ingredients packed with iron, vitamin E, protein, healthy carbohydrates, probiotics and a range of other goodies!
The spice of the chilli bean mixture is perfectly balanced by the fresh coriander and coconut yoghurt, keeping you coming back for more. And thanks to the multiple layers – between sheets of sweet potato chips – you’re able to do just that.
Let’s not forget the “cheesy” sauce which has some secret ingredients that you would never guess would blend into such a delicious, creamy concoction.
Here’s the recipe… You’re welcome 🙂
For the bean mixture:
- 1 cup black beans, dried (soak overnight in water. Cook by bringing to the boil, then simmer uncovered for approximately 40 mins. Alternatively, can use a can of black beans)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
For the “cheesy” sauce:
- 1 cup pumpkin, diced
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 clove garlic
For the toppings:
- 175 g coconut yoghurt
- Fresh coriander, according to taste
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
For the base:
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Arrange sweet potato slices on a baking sheet on an oven tray and cook for 10 mins, then flip slices and cook for a further 10 mins.
- Boil pumpkin in 1.5 cup of water for 8 mins. Let cool, then transfer pumpkin and cooking liquid to a blender.
- Add the ingredients for the “cheesy” sauce to the blender with the pumpkin and cooking liquid. Blend on high until combined.
- In a non-stick pan, add the black beans, tomato, chilli flakes, paprika and cumin. Simmer until fragrant and heated throughout.
- To serve, place a layer of sweet potato slices on a plate, layer with the bean mixture, diced onion, corn kernels, fresh coriander and the “cheesy” sauce. Repeat for another two layers. Top with a solid dollop of coconut yoghurt.